Tuesday 15 April 2008

Asus eee, Sony TZ and Macbook Air

I was out the other night, when a friend told me that I had waffled on about gadgets for nearly twenty minutes. Pretty obvious I needed to update my blog instead of putting people to sleep with my knowledge of expensive contraptions.

Unfortunately, this update is going to actually be a rant, a rant about the gadget show on channel five. Last Sunday, a repeat of the show compared three portable laptops; Asus eee, MacBook Air and the Sony Tz range.

I just don't get it, how can you compare these laptops. Those who don't know- the Asus, it is a portable £200 machine where as the other two range from £1200 to £2000. When testing and trailing them, they pick the asus as the better blogging machine. Now having purchased two of the three machines,I can agree with their choice, primarily down to cost. However, you can't compare any of these as they all have different operating systems and different features. What peed me off is the stupid comparison, ooh the Asus has a wifi connection, sd card reader but the MacBook is crap because you can't connect your 3g card and connect your camera at the same time. You can't connect 3g to the Asus but you don't hear about this or about the likely dead pixel syndrome on the screen or the fact asus give you a brilliant two year warranty They mentioned that the Sony took about 3 minutes to start up but did not to think this was a problem.hmmm. It seemed so obvious that their reviewing method was shit and the writers did not have a clue.

My rant goes onto their next feature. Spinvox, a company that sends you the contents of your voice mail in the form of a text. I wrote about this six months ago, after trailing it for two months. I think you know what I think of the gadget show :)

No comments: